We indulge our sense of nostalgia each and every time we check in on old friends who call A&F home. Serene Bacigalupi aka Leroy's Place first made a name for herself in Williamsburg when she rolled in with her mash-up of monsters and salvaged artwork and illustrations including those now-iconic pop-art pieces born of Shrinky Dinks. Fast forward a couple of years and Serene's monsters are hard to miss fixtures from your best friend's Bushwick music studio to that dope loft in West Chelsea where life seems to be one big party. She took a stroll down memory lane with us. 1) When did you first sell at the market?August 2010
2) What's your fondest memory from that day? Buying a Fresh Prince splatter print hat from Meghann Early for only $10
3) What don't you miss? Arriving way too early and having to wait outside with all my stuff for the market to open [ed. note: we opened at 12pm in 2010]
4) What was your most memorable customer?Someone who laughed so hard at my artwork that they cried.
5) What's your proudest moment?Selling a large gallery-sized original painting at Artists & Fleas at Chelsea Market.
6) What's your favorite graffiti in the bathroom? "The last unicorn." Stall #2. Check it.
Check out the unicorn and Serene every weekend this fine Spring season and laugh yourself silly or get cozy with one of her monsters.