Over the past 19 years, Artists & Fleas has created inspired marketplaces for shoppers looking to discover local designers and for makers seeking to showcase their creations and build their businesses.
Artists & Fleas is looking for an outgoing, creative individual who has a love of retail and is hospitality-minded to help cultivate community and foster a fun and exciting environment in the Chelsea Market marketplace. The Community Manager will serve as a brand ambassador and facilitate and monitor market operations over the course of the weekend, as well oversee and serve as the main point of contact for Community Managers at the Chelsea Market location. The Community Manager will also provide on-site support to merchants and execute cross-platform marketing including both the development and dissemination of creative marketing content.
Key responsibilities include:
Merchant Community Management:
- Oversee and assist new merchants in load-in
- Be the go-to contact for all onsite questions from merchants and customers
- Assist merchants setting up their shop and advise merchandising best practices
- Ensure merchants understand and adhere to Artists & Fleas guidelines and communicate feedback as needed (ex: items sold outside given category, space set-ups that don’t follow the guidelines)
- Creatively communicate relevant information including on-site events, press and more to the merchant community
- Communicate and facilitate logistics as relates to space changes, refreshes, maintenance, and updates.
- Re-engage past merchants as directed
- Outreach to new merchants as directed
- Welcome and greet influencers and tour groups
Marketing & Communications:
- Capture digital content (photos and videos) for social media channels throughout the day
- Gather and organize visual content from current merchants
- Plan and host special events to build community and customer engagement
- Aid in executing marketing programs and supporting merchant community programming
- Conduct opening/closing procedures
- Troubleshoot facility issues including HVAC, WiFi, etc. as needed
- Create, update, & manage facility guidebooks and building maintenance contact lists
- Order, track inventory and budget for market supplies
- Assist in creating and maintaining a positive vibe, including music, lighting, temperature, customer and merchant flow
- Make sure the market facilities and common areas are clean, organized, and in working condition during all market hours
- Propose and ideate suggestions for new market layouts and merchant spaces
- Enforce COVID-19 guidelines with respect to mask-wearing and social distance as needed
- Hire new in-market staff as directed including editing job descriptions, posting roles, and interviewing candidates.
- Create training materials and train new in-market staff members.
- Oversee in-market staff including providing regular assistance and feedback, ensuring that the market is staffed, open, and closed as directed.
- Create a monthly schedule for Chelsea Market staff, to be submitted for written approval by the Director of Markets.
* Note: You must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds for this position
The ideal candidate should be an extremely people-oriented, professional, and organized self-starter. This role requires an individual who is energized by interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and takes pride in implementing the shift from on-paper logistics to real life. Similarly, the candidate should be able to demonstrate professionalism and maturity in ensuring proper rule-following and resolving conflicts that may arise. In this role, you must be a creative thinker, fast on your feet, and thrive on problem-solving. To succeed in this position, you need to have excellent time management and communication skills, be incredibly self motivated, organized, handy, fastidious, and have a demonstrated track record for showing initiative.
In addition, excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required. Applicants need to be proficient with all Google applications and all social media channels. Artists & Fleas values professionalism, responsibility, honesty and reliability – we expect it of our merchants and model it amongst our team. Equally important is to demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm, determination, and self-motivation. *You must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds for this position.
This is a P/T position with hours consisting of approximately 30-35 in-market hours per week including weekend days. Please note, we are looking for candidates who can commit to a consistent schedule.
$24/hour plus annual discretionary bonus, daily meal allowance for full days worked, sick days, health care eligibility, & an opportunity to work with a great team and a growing organization.
If you are the right person for the job, please send your resume and a paragraph about why you are the ideal fit for this position and the Artists & Fleas brand, which we will consider as a writing sample. Applicants who have not visited the market or at least spent time on our website and social media pages need not apply. Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Lead Community Manager, Chelsea” in the subject line.
Artists & Fleas is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now