Over the past 19 years, Shop Extraordinary Enterprises’ (“SEE”) heritage brand – Artists & Fleas – has created inspired marketplaces for shoppers looking to discover local designers and for makers seeking to showcase their creations and build their businesses. Shop Extraordinary Enterprises’ launched Regeneration, a market focused on vintage, thrift, and upcycled clothing, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn in 2021, and acquired the Manhattan Vintage Show (MVS) in 2022 to grow its portfolio of brands dedicated to celebrating and championing creativity, connection and commerce through the creation and promotion of dynamic and innovative retail experiences, marketplaces and shows.
SEE is looking for an Area /Multi-Store Retail Manager who is a dynamic leader steeped in retail to hire, train, manage and develop the professional retail team members and oversee retail market and event operations (Artists & Fleas marketplaces in NYC (Chelsea Market, Williamsburg), LA (Venice), and Atlanta; Regeneration (NYC); production management of MVS events). In this role, responsibilities will ultimately result in support of creating exciting, memorable and welcoming environments for participating merchants and shoppers. The Retail Manager will be responsible for maintaining facilities and systems at all locations – from managing 3rd party vendors (contractors, maintenance, facilities, IT personnel) to overseeing timely repairs and ongoing maintenance. As well, the Retail Manager will work with the Marketing team to ensure that all in-market signage is up to date and in good condition as well as facilitate all seasonal signage changes and general marketplace refreshes and bring a creative lens to all in-store visuals and merchandising opportunities. This individual will liaise with the Marketing team to help oversee the execution of in-market events, working closely with Community Managers to invite members of the merchant community to activate the markets.
This role requires travel to existing market locations in Atlanta and LA as well as future locations on a quarterly basis. This position is in-person, based in New York City and reports to the Director of Retail.
Key responsibilities include:
Team Members Management
- Recruit, hire, train and develop new in-market team members from crafting job descriptions to posting roles to interviewing candidates and vetting their candidacy.
- Create and update training materials, bring a “best-practices” approach to team-building and team development; act as the point person for all in-market team members questions and needs.
- Oversee all market team member scheduling to ensure coverage at all locations and cover if necessary.
- Conduct weekly meetings with in-market team members and track progress across projects.
- Conduct semi- and annual team members performance reviews.
- Oversee and cultivate in-market team members including providing regular assistance and feedback.
- Hire and book DJs as needed.
- Review and report team members and DJ hours to the Accounting team and ensure deadlines and budgets are properly managed and met.
Retail Facilities Operations & Management
- Troubleshoot facility issues including HVAC, WiFi, etc. as needed.
- Ensure facility guidebooks and building maintenance contact lists are regularly updated by Community Managers.
- Track market supplies and budgets.
- Schedule outside / 3rd party contractors (cleaning crew, security guards, etc.)
- Ensure that facilities are serviced as needed.
- Ensure that team members are enforcing merchant space guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Space audit and keen eye for detail – both facilities and systems as well as visuals, signage, and the shopper “experience.”
Retail & Market User Experience
- Oversee space plan creation by Community Managers to optimize for the best curation and flow.
- Assist Community Managers in handling merchant requests, problems, or needs.
- Ensure merchants understand and adhere to relevant brand and/or location guidelines and communicate feedback as needed (ex: items sold outside given category, space set-ups that don’t follow the guidelines)
- Ensure that relevant information from Marketing and Social teams including on-site events, press and more is communicated to the merchant community
- Oversee Community Managers’ communications and facilitate logistics as relates to space changes, refreshes, maintenance, and updates.
- Document incident reports and adherence to processes and procedures to ensure a compliant and safe workplace environment
- Manage Community Managers in their implementation and execution of Marketing Team-driven initiatives and programs including:
- Hosting special events that help build community and customer engagement
- Ensuring that internal merchant messages and communications are properly conveyed, signs are posted, etc.
- Aiding in executing marketing programs and supporting merchant community programming
Manhattan Vintage Show
- Serve as Operations Manager for 2023 MVS events on February 2+3, April 14+15 and October 20+21
- Schedule, hire, train and oversee all MVS production team members
The ideal candidate is a people-oriented professional, who thrives in creating an amazing retail experience through the cultivation of a top notch retail team. Through past retail experience, this individual is a highly organized leader with successful team management and front-of-house retail operations experience as well as an innate ability to pull back to view the entirety of an enterprise to find opportunities to streamline systems, operationalize processes and implement best practices across multiple locations and/or units and facilitate a cohesive team that shares learnings with each other. The ideal candidate should also possess a strong intuitive sense of what makes for an optimal shopping experience and a consistent, productive selling environment (whether a seller is a first-time merchant or returning for the 100th time) in a role that combines hospitality with a roll-up-your-sleeves perspective. The ideal candidate should have experience in retail store management and overseeing remote teams especially in a multi-store and/or multi-brand experience store format. Expert project management skills and a finesse with people and problem-solving are a must.
This role requires an individual who is energized by interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and takes pride in implementing the shift from on-paper logistics to real life. You must be a creative thinker, fast on their feet, and born to problem-solve. To thrive in this position, you need to have excellent time management and administrative skills, be self motivated, handy, fastidious, and have a demonstrated track record for showing initiative.In addition, excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required. Shop Extraordinary Enterprises values professionalism, responsibility, honesty and reliability – we expect it of our merchants and model it amongst our team. Equally important is to demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm, determination, and self-motivation. *You must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds for this position.
Hours / Schedule:
This is a F/T salaried position that generally follows a Thursday through Monday schedule to align with our markets’ busiest days. This individual must be able to visit out of state locations on a quarterly basis as well as be available to work the 2023 Manhattan Vintage shows on February 2+3, April 14+15 and October 20+21.
A salary range of $65,000.00 – $72,000.00 commensurate with experience, annual end of year discretionary bonus, benefits eligibility (health, 401k) and an opportunity to work with a great team and a growing organization.
Shop Extraordinary Enterprises and Artists & Fleas are equal opportunity employers.Apply Now