The Assistant Market Manager role is focused on production, merchant and community relations and operations management. In this role, you will oversee all facility operations including all aspects related to the functioning of the market and building maintenance. Additionally, you will put on your communications manager hat to creatively disseminate information to new and current merchants to strengthen their experience as a part of the Artists & Fleas merchant community.
This is an amazing opportunity for a highly organized, creative individual who wants to be on the ground floor of an exciting retail environment. The ideal candidate will take full ownership of all tasks to tackle, troubleshoot and problem-solve just about anything that might arise in the course of a market selling day – from fixing a broken doorknob to assisting merchants with moving into their spaces, to welcoming customers and developing relationships with the neighboring community.
The Assistant Market Manager will help facilitate and monitor market operations over the course of the week, function as a brand ambassador and provide administrative support to the Market Manager. The Assistant Market Manager will also oversee facility maintenance, provide on-site support to merchants, and execute cross-platform marketing to include both the development and dissemination of creative marketing content.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Merchant Community Management:
- Oversee and assist new merchants in load-in and load-out
- Be the go-to contact for all space related questions from merchants
- Assist merchants with setting up their shop and to advise merchandising best practices
- Ensure all merchants understand and adhere to Artists & Fleas Visuals Playbook Guidelines
- Prep and distribute Welcome Kits to new merchants
- Creatively communicate relevant information including on-site events, press and more to the merchant community during market hours
- Welcome and greet tour groups
- Troubleshoot facility issues including HVAC, WiFi, etc.
- Create, update, and manage Facility Guidebooks and building maintenance Contact Lists
- Track inventory and order all market supplies
- Prepare the facility for the market weekend including keeping tabs on supplies, cleaning and updating chalkboards with relevant weekend information, sweeping/mopping/changing light bulbs etc.
- Assist in creating & maintaining a positive vibe which includes music, lighting, temperature, customer and merchant flow
- Make sure the market facilities and common areas are clean and in working condition during all market hours
- Propose and ideate suggestions for new market layouts and merchant spaces
- Conduct opening/closing procedures
Marketing & Communications:
- Develop visual content by capturing digital content (photos and videos) for our social media channels, during the course of the selling day
- Propose and organize social media content for marketing team
- Gather and organize visual content from new and current merchants
- Through the guidance and direction of the Market Manager you will:
- Research potential artisans and merchants to reach out to and invite to participate
- Court and build relationships for events and partnerships
- Assist with execution of special events
The ideal candidate will be an extremely detail-oriented, highly organized, self-starter with experience forming new relationships and cold-emailing (event planning/production experience is a plus). This role requires a professional who is energized by interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and takes pride in implementing the shift from on-paper logistics to real life. Applicant must be a creative thinker, fast on their feet, and eager to problem solve. To thrive in this position, you need to have excellent time management and administrative skills, be incredibly self motivated, handy, have an eye for detail and have a demonstrated track record for showing initiative.
In addition, excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required. Applicants need to be proficient with all MS Office Programs, the Google suite, and all social media channels. Artists & Fleas values professionalism, responsibility, honesty and reliability – we expect it of our merchants and model it amongst our team. Equally important is to demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm, determination, and self-motivation.
Your schedule will require you to be onsite evenings and both weekend days. Please note, we are looking for candidates who can commit to a consistent schedule.
*You must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds for this position.
If you are the right person for the job, please send your resume and a paragraph about why you are the ideal fit for this position and the Artists & Fleas brand, which we will consider as a writing sample. Applicants who have not visited the market or at least spent time on our website and social media pages need not apply. Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Assistant Market Manager (NYC)” in the subject line.
Artists & Fleas is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now