Over the past 19 years, Artists & Fleas has created inspired marketplaces for shoppers looking to discover local designers and for makers seeking to showcase their creations and build their businesses. Artists & Fleas acquired the Manhattan Vintage Show (MVS) in 2022 and opened Regeneration, a market focused on vintage, thrift, and upcycled clothing, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn in 2021. The three brands are part of a larger entity—Shop Extraordinary Enterprises (SEE)—that is dedicated to celebrating and championing creativity, connection and commerce through the creation and promotion of dynamic and innovative retail experiences, marketplaces and shows.
SEE is looking for an organizational leader to oversee the staff and retail operations of Artists & Fleas marketplaces in NYC (Chelsea Market, Williamsburg), LA (Venice), and Atlanta, as well as serve as the Operations Manager at MVS events. As the Retail Operations Manager, your responsibilities will ultimately result in support of creating exciting, memorable and welcoming environments for participating merchants and shoppers.
You will be responsible for hiring, training and overseeing all Community Managers—the on-site “retail” team members at all our marketplaces—as well as serve as the point of contact for those staff members for guidance and troubleshooting as needed. As well, the Retail Operations Manager will be responsible for maintaining facilities and systems at all locations—from managing 3rd party vendors (contractors, maintenance, facilities, IT personnel) to overseeing timely repairs and ongoing maintenance. You will work with the Marketing Director to ensure that all in-market signage is up to date and in good condition as well as facilitate all seasonal signage changes and general marketplace refreshes. In this role, you will liaise with the Marketing team to help oversee the execution of in-market events, working closely with Community Managers to invite members of the merchant community to activate the markets.
This role requires travel to existing market locations in Atlanta and LA as well as future locations on a quarterly basis. This position is in-person, based in New York City and reports to the Director of Retail.
Key responsibilities include:
- Recruit and hire new in-market staff as directed including editing job descriptions, posting roles, and interviewing candidates.
- Train all in-market staff, create and update training materials as needed.
- Ensure that the markets are staffed, open, and closed as directed and cover if necessary.
- Conduct semi- and annual staff performance reviews.
- Act as the point person for all in-market staff questions and needs.
- Conduct weekly meetings with in-market staff and track progress across projects.
- Oversee and cultivate in-market staff including providing regular assistance and feedback.
- Hire and book DJs as needed.
- Review and report staff and DJ hours to the Accounting team and ensure deadlines and budgets are properly managed and met.
Facilities Operations & Management
- Troubleshoot facility issues including HVAC, WiFi, etc. as needed.
- Ensure facility guidebooks and building maintenance contact lists are regularly updated by Community Managers.
- Track market supplies and budgets.
- Schedule outside / 3rd party contractors (cleaning crew, security guards, etc.)
- Ensure that facilities are serviced as needed.
- Ensure that staff is enforcing merchant space guidelines, rules and regulations.
- Space audit and keen eye for detail – both facilities and systems as well as visuals, signage, and the shopper “experience.”
- Oversee space plan creation by Community Managers to optimize for the best curation and flow.
- Assist Community Managers in handling merchant requests, problems, or needs.
- Ensure merchants understand and adhere to relevant brand and/or location guidelines and communicate feedback as needed (ex: items sold outside given category, space set-ups that don’t follow the guidelines)
- Ensure that relevant information from Marketing and Social teams including on-site events, press and more is communicated to the merchant community
- Oversee Community Managers’ communications and facilitate logistics as relates to space changes, refreshes, maintenance, and updates.
- Document incident reports and adherence to processes and procedures to ensure a compliant and safe workplace environment
- Manage Community Managers in their implementation and execution of Marketing Team-driven initiatives and programs including:
- Hosting special events that help build community and customer engagement
- Ensuring that internal merchant messages and communications are properly conveyed, signs are posted, etc.
- Aiding in executing marketing programs and supporting merchant community programming
Manhattan Vintage Show
- Serve as Operations Manager for 2023 MVS events on February 2+3, April 14+15 and October 20+21
- Schedule, hire, train and oversee all MVS production staff
The ideal candidate is an extremely people-oriented, professional, and organized self-starter and an individual who has a keen eye for detail as well as an ability to pull back to view the entirety of the enterprise to find opportunities to streamline systems, operationalize processes and share best practices from one location to another as well as work to facilitate a cohesive team that shares learnings with each other. The ideal candidate also needs to have a strong intuitive sense of what makes for an optimal shopping experience and a consistent, productive selling environment (whether a seller is a first-time merchant or returning for the 100th time) in a role that combines hospitality with a roll-up-your-sleeves perspective. The ideal candidate should have experience in retail operations and overseeing remote teams especially in a multi-store and/or multi-brand experience store format. Expert project management skills and a finesse with people and problem-solving are a must.
This role requires an individual who is energized by interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and takes pride in implementing the shift from on-paper logistics to real life. Candidate must be a creative thinker, fast on their feet, and born to problem-solve. To thrive in this position, you need to have excellent time management and administrative skills, be self motivated, handy, fastidious, and have a demonstrated track record for showing initiative.In addition, excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills are required. Shop Extraordinary Enterprises values professionalism, responsibility, honesty and reliability – we expect it of our merchants and model it amongst our team. Equally important is to demonstrate a high level of enthusiasm, determination, and self-motivation. *You must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds for this position.
Hours / Schedule:
This is a F/T salaried position that generally follows a Thursday through Monday schedule to align with our markets’ busiest days. Candidate must be able to visit out of state locations on a quarterly basis as well as be available to work the 2023 Manhattan Vintage shows on February 2+3, April 14+15 and October 20+21.
A salary range of $60,000 to $72,000.00 (commensurate with experience), annual end of year discretionary bonus, benefits eligibility (health, 401k) and an opportunity to work with a great team and a growing organization.
If you are the right person for the job, please send your resume and a paragraph about why you are the ideal fit for this position and the Shop Extraordinary family of brands, which we will consider as a writing sample. Applicants who have not visited the market or at least spent time on our website and social media pages need not apply. Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Retail Operations Manager” in the subject line.
Artists & Fleas is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now